Saturday, March 22, 2008

Monday, December 31, 2007

Monday, December 24, 2007

Merry Christmas !

Friday, December 21, 2007

The little Dress for Christmas

So, I can now post this, it's done. Pattern used was Simplicity 4511. I made a few changes. I didn't add the contrast band on the bottom of the skirt, (didn't have enough fabric, and it would of been too long). Didn't add the bow and tie to the waist.
It took awhile, but it wasn't too bad of a project. Above is a close-up of the trim around the waist.



Above is the dress, with the petticoat underneath, looks a little lopsided. The skirt is a full circle, made from a silver/blue crepe back satin, the bodice is a piece of blue velvet. It also has a white & blue ribbon trim around the neck.


Below is a pic of the dress, without the petticoat underneath. It has a zipper in the back.
I did like making this, and will probably make it again, perhaps in something like cotton, for the summer.


And now, finishing some other projects.




Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Doughnut Muffins


Here is a recipe I found in an old cookbook, they have the taste and consistency of doughnuts, and they are baked. These were topped with cinnamon sugar, but I think they would also taste good, if you dipped the tops into a little glaze (if you like them sweeter).


Doughnut Muffins


3 1/2 (half) cups sifted all purpose flour


1 tbsp. baking powder


1 tsp. salt


1/2 (half) tsp. nutmeg


1 1/2 (half) cups sugar


2 egg


2/3 (2 thirds) cup shortening


1 1/2 (half) cups milk


2 tsp. vanilla


Combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and sugar in a bowl. In another bowl beat eggs, shortening, milk and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients and stir just enough to moisten. Spray muffin tins with a non-stick spray, fill 2/3 (2 thirds) full, and bake at 350*F for 15 - 20 minutes, or till done. Depending on your oven, and size of muffin tin (if you make them larger), you might have to adjust the time.



enjoy





Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Finished Costume



Here is the finished costume.



I did make the headpiece from the cowl-neck, with some sheer black fabric.








Well, almost finished in this pic, I had to shorten the black overskirt.

Youky had to be in the picture with me.







Sunday, October 21, 2007

My Costume for Halloween

I had an idea, but no pattern. I wanted to make a period dress, sort of. I remembered seeing a post on craftster.org, a tutorial on making a corset from a t-shirt. This is where I got my inspiration.

Found this black, long-sleeve velour top at a thrift store, a little tight, but that's ok.

It also has this cowl neck, which I cut off.

















I already had this piece of embroidered taffetta, which I thought would be perfect.




Here is a close up of the fabric, the roses are velour, and the stitching is dark grey.





Here is where I had to figure out where to cut for the front, didn't want it too low or too high.






After cutting the neck out, I used some stretchy binding, (a thrift store find), to go around the neck.





This is a little dark, all I did was just sew a piece of the fabric to the front of the top. At first I was going to cut a piece out of the front, and make an insert, but that would be too much work.




Here is a close-up of the neck and front.







Here is the top (almost done), with it is a matching skirt, which is from another costume from a few years back. The colour is almost the same, ( I will also make an overskirt in black to go over this, which will be open in the middle).





Here is where I stitched by hand, the loops, which I will then use to lace up the front with matching ribbon.





Here is the finished top, I used some pieces of velvet ribbon on the sides to finish it, ( and to cover the ends of the loops).




Here is a close-up of the loop and ribbon.






Here is the neck which I cut off, looks interesting, I think I can make a 'headpiece', from it.







Here is another thrift shop find, sheer black fabric, with tiny sequins, it doesn't photogragh well, but they are very small, and pick up every colour.




This is it for now, still a few things to do, but it will be finished, and I'll have pics up.