I had an idea, but no pattern. I wanted to make a period dress, sort of. I remembered seeing a post on craftster.org, a tutorial on making a corset from a t-shirt. This is where I got my inspiration.
Found this black, long-sleeve velour top at a thrift store, a little tight, but that's ok.
It also has this cowl neck, which I cut off.
I already had this piece of embroidered taffetta, which I thought would be perfect.
Here is a close up of the fabric, the roses are velour, and the stitching is dark grey.
Here is where I had to figure out where to cut for the front, didn't want it too low or too high.
After cutting the neck out, I used some stretchy binding, (a thrift store find), to go around the neck.
This is a little dark, all I did was just sew a piece of the fabric to the front of the top. At first I was going to cut a piece out of the front, and make an insert, but that would be too much work.
Here is a close-up of the neck and front.
Here is the top (almost done), with it is a matching skirt, which is from another costume from a few years back. The colour is almost the same, ( I will also make an overskirt in black to go over this, which will be open in the middle).
Here is where I stitched by hand, the loops, which I will then use to lace up the front with matching ribbon.
Here is the finished top, I used some pieces of velvet ribbon on the sides to finish it, ( and to cover the ends of the loops).
Here is a close-up of the loop and ribbon.
Here is the neck which I cut off, looks interesting, I think I can make a 'headpiece', from it.
Here is another thrift shop find, sheer black fabric, with tiny sequins, it doesn't photogragh well, but they are very small, and pick up every colour.
This is it for now, still a few things to do, but it will be finished, and I'll have pics up.